Today I present a recipe for simple and delicious cookies with a royal icing that allows many decorations.
Lemon goes very well with the slight bitterness of cocoa. If the cookies seem too soft when you come out of the oven, that's normal, they will harden as they cool.
A good way to decorate cookies with icing without it flowing around the edges is to draw the outline of your cookie with white icing before decorating it later according to your imagination.
Recipe of my cocoa cookies and royal icing:
Ingredients for cookies:
– 85g butter (or margarine)
– 20g icing sugar
– 15 ml lemon juice
– 125g flour
– 10g cocoa
Ingredients for royal icing:
– 250g icing sugar
– 1 egg white
– the juice of 1/2 lemon
– food colouring
Roll of the recipe:
- Whisk together the soft butter and icing sugar until creamy. Add lemon juice and whisk again.
- Sift the flour and cocoa together. Mix well and roll into a pudding. Leave to rest in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, combine icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice until smooth. Separate in small bowls and colour as desired.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC. Cut the dough pudding into slices. Cook for about 15 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Decorate with the icing as you like or like the ones I made: on a color background, decorate with touches of white with a toothpick for a marbled effect.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and have fun with the icing! Thank you for reading me and good food!